RFID Chicken Project

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 am
by philip • 3 Posts

My plan is as follows:

Install an RFID reader at the front of each nest box (8). Two going out of the coop into the ourdoor area (so I can tell direction). One around a USB weighing machine (postal scale) next to the feeder so that I can randomly weigh the girls. Two more in the "chunnel" aka chicken tunnel that leads from the outdoor pen into my fenced in orchard.

Each of the RFID readers generates the 2-wire wiegand protocol and these are all sent to an arduino which just sends valid decodes down a serial line (really USB) to some small computer that has network access (this may be a TL-WR703 -- a $22 wifi travel router that you can flash with a linux system).

The RFID readers are based around a module from china and a custom made antenna. The arduino decoder is probably a teensy3. Two RFID readers and one teensy3 can (I think) fit on one 10cmx10cm PCB. Only one of the PCBs has the teensy3 on it, and all the others connect back to the master.

The most expensive bit of the readers is almost the case (which look to be somewhat over $11 each inc shipping).

Philip

Scroll up

RE: RFID Chicken Project

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:13 am
by sunspot • 2 Posts

I have RFID sensors in each of 3 nest boxes. I have 20 birds. My objective is simply to tell if the girls are doing a good job - and take action to keep a good flock laying rate.

In case you get here by Google please also see my page on RFID at
RFID for Chickens

My main problem at present is to get some reliable leg rings.

I use cheap key fob tags at present. The birds seemed not to notice them and still laid OK but those shown on the web page eventually failed because the hens pecked through the copper wires. I aim to try a steel wire or all nylon design if commercial rings are too expensive.

I have a home built incubator that works very well - details on request.

www.sunspot.co.uk

Last edited Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 am | Scroll up

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 pm
by mtstarr • 1 Post

If you buy, let me know. I am in the UK 3-5 times a year and would take up to 20. Need 6 now, 10 would be good.

Last edited Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:47 pm | Scroll up

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm
by philip • 3 Posts

I just tested some of the rings that I just received and they appear to work. However, and it is a big however, they only read with some antennas. Let me explain:

I'm using a little module that does the reading and it uses an external antenna (coil of wire). A small coil was provided with the module and this antenna reads keyfob tags but not the chicken ring. I did make an antenna which is about 2 inches by 12 inches (to go across the front of a nest box) and it will read the ring. I actually made a number of different antennas this shape with different numbers of turns. It reads with some turn counts and not with others. It seems that having fewer turns is better. More characterization is needed.

THey do have unique IDs (at least in 32 bit mode)

I can sell some of my rings (up to 50 in all) on the above understanding: $11 for 10 rings (including US shipping) paypal. Please contact me first.......

Philip

Scroll up

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 am
by sunspot • 2 Posts

Many thanks to Philip for selling me some rings.

I tested a few in the chicken boxes with coils as on my web page. They work well if close to the wood. (The key fobs worked 5cm above the wood)
I expect they will be OK since the birds spend over 30 minutes in the box per egg,

However it is now cold and we had no eggs yesterday so they will not visit the boxes anyway......

Also - the fobs have their numbers printed on them - I will have to mark the rings in some way - perhaps record the last 3 numbers on the ring with a soldering iron tip.

Scroll up

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm
by luwe

Hey, I am looking into an RFID system for my chickens. Do you still have any rings to sell? 10 would be good for me.

Thanks
Luwe

Scroll up

in Electronic Projects with Chickens Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:02 pm
by No name specified • ( Guest )

Spring is here at last !!!

2 days ago I fitted 17 Chinese rings. (3 broke on closing)

For 3 birds I put a 17 mm nylon tie round the leg and tied a fob to this with a lighter nylon tie.

My system can see the key fobs but not the Chinese rings - even though those rings work if held by hand close to the wood.

Has anyone got working system yet?

The key fobs move freely as the birds walk but they are not pecking at them - guess I will do that to them all.

Just a chance my software is missing single responses - the fobs give 3 or 4 responses per measurement cycle. More later.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: mtstarr
Board Statistics
The forum has 2 topics and 9 posts.